Mathias "Mike" Joseph Mazanec was born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1869. He came to Waco around 1887 and started working as a dishwasher at Tivoli Hall, a boarding house and saloon in downtown Waco, around 3rd St. and Franklin Avenue. He later became a cook at Tivoli Hall. Mike lived very frugally and saved enough money and purchased the Union Fish Market on the square while he was still employed at the Tivoli.
Mike sold or traded the fish market for the Bismarck Saloon, and he owned it from 1904 to 1906, when during that year he purchased Tivoli Hall, which consisted of a boarding house, short order cafe, saloon and pool hall. Later, Mike sold the boarding house and cafe portion, and he kept the pool hall and saloon portion until 1911, when he sold that as well.
Mike met Agnes Nemecek, who was doing maid work at the Tivoli, and they married in 1893. She had come from Moravia in 1888 at the age of 16 with her mother and younger brother to join the rest of their family who had settled in the town of West, Texas (about 15 miles north of Waco), a small, mostly Czechoslovakian community. Mike and Agnes had four sons, Joseph, John, Anton and Edward George Sr.
In 1911 Mike and Agnes purchased a house which had been built in 1903 (pictured below) and approx. 868 acres east of Waco.
Mike and Agnes moved to West in 1931 and their son Edward Sr. and his wife, also named Agnes (Jezek), bought the ranch and moved into the old homestead. Edward Sr. and Agnes Mazanec (now deceased) raised their three children, Margaret, Betty Jo and Edward Jr. in the homestead.
In late 70’s Edward Jr. and his wife Julia Anita (Harris) bought the ranch from his father and raised their three children, Kathy, Edward III, and Mark on the homestead. Edward Jr. and Julia (Nita) moved to McGregor in 1990. In 1992 their son Mark bought the ranch from his father and moved into the homestead where he raised his two boys, Matthew and Sean. Edward Jr. passed in September 2012.